Sunday, March 22, 2009

Wow...I did it

I'm going to talk about internet networking for a moment. Years ago, before Myspace, and way before Facebook, there was a site called Friendster. I think it's still around. But last time I tried to go log into my old account I couldn't even remember which email address I used. Well friendster was almost exactly like Myspace...but without the terrible profile "pimping". But it got so popular so quickly that it quit working. Every time you would you log in, it would freeze up and kick you out. So then Myspace came along and everyone on Friendster went to Myspace. Then came Facebook, then came...whatever else is out there...twitter, maybe? Well, having had Myspace since Friendster went down the crapper means that that account was about 6 years old...actually...older than that. Wow. I say "was" because I deleted tonight. I was so tired of the ads and crappy html that everyone has on their pages that I never checked my account. So good bye Myspace. It was a fun run for a while. However, Facebook is doing a really good job at staying ahead of the curve. Maybe they learned some lessons from Myspace, as there are not almost naked girls wanting to know if I need a date in little ad windows. Also, when I go to a friends page I do not get bombarded with their music and their tastes in background decor.

4 comments:

Jessie M. said...

I plan on following your example tonight when I get home. Anyone that I want to keep up with I can now find on Facebook, and like you said... its just less hassle on Facebook!

LOVE YOU

Scott757 said...

***UPDATE***

My old friendster profile is still there. I have no idea how to log into it. But it's still there. It's like a little time capsule. My profile and all my friends profiles are like snapshots of what our lives were like back in 2003. It was pretty funny. I wish I could remember how to log in and see what the messages say...err...maybe it's better that I don't.

Rob said...

I tried to delete my Myspace account about a year ago for the exact same reasons. I say try because after I deleted it I was still getting friend requests. For some reason it's still alive and well.

Brian Miller said...

Rob...phantom Myspace has a hard time letting go...have pondered unplugging...maybe one day.