Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Annoucement: kind of

A few weeks ago I made an entry about the importance of the journey and how, sometimes, it's better to take the road that leads you through your passions, even if you don't know the outcome. That entry was my mindset when I made the decision to change majors. I was previously enrolled as a Computer Science major. However, as I've gone through those classes I've quickly come to realize that I don't really have much interest in that area. When I would talk to people who are in other areas of study, the classes that I always wished I were taking were the Humanities classes. So I've changed my major to...*drum roll*...a BA of History/Social Science.

As a Comp Sci major I was pretty sure where I would end up. You know there are jobs waiting for you and that those jobs will pay you well. I finally was at the point a few weeks ago where I was really honest with myself and admitted the only reason I was doing Comp Sci was for the money. I knew that it would pay well and that was the only reason I was doing it. I decided a long time ago, that making major life decisions based on financial gain will not lead you, or at least it won't me, to happiness.

So the big question that I am going to be asked about a million times is "what are you going to do after school?" And the answer is...be a drifter. Yup...Jess and I will sell all our worldly possessions to buy a used, environmentally friendly, RV and hit the road for a life time of adventure.

Not really. What I really plan on doing is keeping my GPA up above a 3.33 and getting accepted into ODU's accelerated Graduate program and get my MA in History a year after I get my BA. Oh...I forgot to mention...my new BA in Hist/Soc Sci gets me licensed to teach on a secondary level. So once I finish with my BA and my MA I'll probably go teach High School History for a few years. Before trying to move on to a Museum or to teaching at a Community College. Eventually, I'd like to get hired on by a University somewhere that will put me through my PhD program while I teach there. But that's a while away. Right now I'm happy that starting next semester I'll be entrenched in something that I am already entrenched in. I'm also nervous because while I have a plan, the light at the end of this tunnel is much less defined than it was for my Comp Sci track. But I'm going to trust that this decision is the right one and in the end it will work out. If not...there's always selling all our worldly possessions, buying a used, environmentally friendly, RV and hitting the road for a life time of adventures.

1 comment:

Rob said...

Congrats. Go for it.