Thursday, September 30, 2010

Libro d'Amore: Bill Bryson "Neither Here Nor There: Travels in Europe"

In my continual attempts to make myself a "reader" I'm starting a new series on Empty Pantry called "Libro d'Amore" (Book Love in Italian...because everything sounds better when said in Italian).  In this new section I'm going to review books as I finish them. So welcome to Libro d'Amore's maiden voyage. 


After discussing traveling to Vienna with my, compassionate and insightful, friend Katie; she understood that my soul longed to take me places my wallet could not afford.  So instead of just feeling sorry for me she took action.  She purchased me a travel book by Bill Bryson about his travels through Europe. 

I started this book in early August while on vacation.  Which, being as it is almost October, shows you how inconsistent my reading is.  The book starts out with Bryson going North to Hammerfest.  Hammerfest is the Northernmost town in Europe and he went in the middle of winter because he wanted to see the Northern Lights.  And thus starts our journey with Mr. Bryson through Europe which takes us through Paris, Amsterdam, Gothenburg, Rome, Switzerland, Yugoslavia, among many others, and finally ending in Istanbul.

This book scratched a dangerous itch, as I have a dangerous internal desperation to travel.  Bryson took me to many places I had never considered going before.  Some of which I am still not likely to consider and others that have been added to the bucket-list.

The book was enjoyable enough.  While I never felt bored with it, I rarely felt drawn to pick it up.  But when I did it was rewarding.  So I guess I give it 3 stars out of 5.


Next up:
If current trends continue see you late December.

No comments: