Tuesday, September 7, 2010

School and Beer

I'm currently enrolled in CS312 at ODU.  For those of you not in the CS department, the class is an "Internet Concepts" class.  My first project for the class is to make a blog.  Well...I have 2.  So this one gets to be my project for the semester.  Which means I have to update it regularly...which I've been pretty good about.  So expect my continued dedication to bring you a blog of all things Scott. 

Now that that is out of the way, lets move on to a more interesting topic...BEER.  I like beer.  Almost all beer.  The watered down cheap stuff to the great microbrews I've tried, almost all of it has been wonderful.  When I say almost there is one category that has eluded me.  This type of beer has always sent me away asking for something different.  What is the bitter biting beverage?  IPA's.  IPA stands for Indian Pale Ale and it comes from a style of beer that has a lot of hops so that the beer would keep while being shipped from India.  Thus the name.  IPA's are characterized by a sharp, crisp taste up front and a bitter bite on the way down.  It's the bitterness that has always kept me away. 

However, I feel I need to conquer this bitter beast because there are so many great ones being made.  It seems like every time I talk to someone about beer I am being told that I need to try some IPA or another.  I feel like I'm missing out.

So a few weeks ago I decided to give the IPA world a good try.  I started out with Pyramid's "Thunderhead IPA".  The taste was pleasant but due to the bitterness afterwards, it was a sipper.  Now, when looking into the world of IPA's the name that keeps coming up is Dogfish Head "90 Minute IPA".  So the other night at the bar I frequent they had 90 Minute on tap, so I decided to order a pint.  It was more enjoyable than the Thunderhead.  I would definitely order it again...and probably will next time I'm there.  I still wouldn't say I love IPA's, but I've made steps towards appreciating them and can now at least enjoy one.  

Cheers and I don't necessarily recommend mixing the two things this post is about.

No comments: