Sunday, November 30, 2008

It's Not Worth The Division

Momma always said don't talk about religion or politics at the table. (My momma didn't say that but I've been told some have) When it comes to any discussion of subjects that involve emotion many times those discussions can turn aggressive. Leaving rifts and hurt feelings between family and friends. I don't think politics are worth it and religion shouldn't cause it. I believe in eternity, and I see this world as ultimately passing. So my hope doesn't lie here with people, but somewhere beyond here, outside the reach of this life. It's because of this hope that allowing rifts and divisions because of politics isn't worth it, because all politics are temporary. In time we all die. With time everything changes. This doesn't mean that we can't be involved and it doesn't mean that we can talk about our differences. But we must be careful to try and understand each others differences even though we may disagree. The same can be said for religion. I am a Christian but I strive to never use my beliefs to make someone feel small or spiritually beaten up. That is not what Christ did and it's not what I will do. Let me sum up, love the people who are around you first. Then, through that love, discuss whatever you want.