Friday, November 28, 2008

What about religion and music?

OK, it's time to get away from the political crap that so easily comes spewing forth from my mind and talk about other things of importance.

Jess (my wife) and myself have been looking for a new church. The first church we attended was Waters Edge in Yorktown. It was wonderful. The next week we attended a different church and the whole time we were wishing we were at WEC. So it looks like we'll continue our attendance. The big test will be the community groups. If we enjoy that, then we've found our new church. It's very exciting to find a place that is helping me emerge from a sort of spiritual stagnation. My excitement about my faith has been growing in the last few weeks. Times are changing friends both Nationally and personally.

Music Time!!!

My musical life has seen some action over the past few months. The band I was playing with has more or less disbanded and the bassist and myself have found a drummer. We have no name and no songs. But the last two times we've gotten together we've been able to kill two hours just playing together. I've never done this before. We are learning to play together before we actually write songs together. What I mean is we are learning to read each other for dynamic shifts, allowing us to extend song parts. Now all we need are the songs...and a singer wouldn't hurt. Anyone out there want to try it?

Albums that are getting played:
U2- War


mewithoutYou- Brother,Sister/Catch for Us the Foxes


Fugazi- Steady Diet of Nothing/In on the Kill Taker/13 Songs


When I saw mewithoutYou years ago at Macrock I didn't like them. At the time if it wasn't "heavy" then I wasn't into it. Well times have changed and with age I have gotten "softer". They have become one of my most listened to bands. The guitar work is wonderfully dissonant, and the vocals are somewhere between folk/spoken word/aggressive. I highly recommend them. I wish I had watched their show at Macrock. They aren't really doing much these days, so it appears that I may never get the chance to see them.

No comments: