Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Here Listen...

I'm in the midst of reading about music, starting a new band, writing new music, and listening to new music only to realize that I write nothing for my fans. So here you go.

Over the Holiday season I picked up a copy of The Walkmen's "You & Me". It's a strange sounding album. It's dark and moody. Buried in reverb, it's likened to the accoustics of a submarine. I didn't enjoy it. But I kept listening. I kept listening maybe because the music review site I frequent said it was good. However, I've found myself putting it in more often because it was haunting my thoughts. The dark mood it presents has the feel of a New York music club. Buried so deep in the city that only the painfully hip crowd knows the bar exists. The crowd so callus to music that to even be on the stage says you are not going to be accepted by the people outside it. The room filled with the scent of micro brews and cigarettes. But a place where you know that you are going to be presented with a musical experience. Not just throw away pop songs to be consumed by the public. These songs have been crafted not written. This album has climbed inside my head and buried itself in a corner. I think it's going to be around for a while. But collecting little dust.




So here is some other music that I recommend...

Jimi Hendrix- "Electric Ladyland"


Calexico- "Carried to Dust"


Dinosaur Jr.- "Beyond"


mewithoutYou- "Brother Sister"

3 comments:

Brian Miller said...

Nice word picture for the music. I find myself intrigued.

Anonymous said...

You're familiar with submarine acoustics?

Rob said...

I got your email. Not a problem to email me at that address. I don't check it as often on the weekend, but I still check it. I don't know about texting ChaCha. That is new to me. I have only called it. I know it's possible because since my post others have said they text ChaCha and get a response. I also have found out that you can work for ChaCha and make money. How cool is that? Have a great weekend.