Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Nihilism...is it really possible?

Ok. So I've decided to try this blog thing again. But it's going to be a little different. I'm going to be posting thoughts, once a week. This week's thoughts were inspired by my watching of the Cohen's "The Big Lebowski".

Nihilism is defined by my computers dictionary as:

nihilism |ˈnīəˌlizəm; ˈnē-|
noun
the rejection of all religious and moral principles, often in the belief that life is meaningless.

or as defined by most people...the belief in nothing.

So the question is that if you tell people you are a nihilist is it possible to even be one? Here's the thought process...since Nihilism is the belief in nothing, wouldn't the act of telling people you are a Nihilist mean that you believe that by telling them you may have them think about nihilism or refuting their own beliefs and embracing the belief in nothing? Therefore you don't really believe in nothing. You actually believe in telling people you believe in nothing. Which in an of itself is something. What are your thoughts?

3 comments:

Jessica Valiant said...

I'm not sure about this. If I were a nihilist I would feel utterly sure that I was right - therefore everyone else was wrong and wasting [what I would feel is pointless] their lives following "superstitions" rather than enjoying the "freedom" from moral or religious standards. I think that telling someone you believe in no spiritual or moral senses does not constitute in a belief in and of itself. If I tell people I'm a nihilist, I still adhere to the CORE of the definition: rejection of religion or morals and I feel they should do the same because it's "better".

That's if I were a Nihilist.

Scott757 said...

Ahhh...Mrs. V your intellect is awesome. You were so close. You had "skewered and served" my arguement until you said "better". That qualifier indicates that you (the nihilist) puts different measures of importance on different things. Which in and of itself disqualifies the belief in nothing. If you have a void...a space of complete nothingness...are there different degrees of nothingness? If you have 0 dollars in your bank account can you have different amounts of 0? I would say that putting importance on your nothingness over someone else's belief in somethingness indicates the belief in something and therefore you are not essentially a nihilist.

-the dude abides

Rob said...

Welcome back to the blog world. It's good to have you here.