Saturday, December 27, 2008

This is Important

I woke up this morning to find the news that Israel has launched air attacks against Hamas compounds in Gaza. There seems to be a group of people who have a general dislike for Israel in the world so when stuff like this happens I get nervous. Iran has been threatening to destroy Israel for years. With this attack being the largest they have ever launched against Hamas, there is a possibility this could get rather ugly. The attacks were a response to continual rocket attacks by Hamas into Israeli boarder towns. Knowing how unsteady the world always is, I'm always a little timid when stuff like this happens. So let's pray that this ends soon. I understand the plight of the Palestinians. But Israel is there. It is unreasonable to just expect them to get up and move. We need to work towards long range peace agreements, and sending suicide bombers into markets and continually boming boarder towns is not a step in the right direction. I know that it seems that I am coming down heavily on the side of Israel. I am not trying to. This small planet needs to house all of us. Violence is something that will only lead to more violence. So let all of us try and refrain from it's use.

It doesn't require any particular bravery to stand on the floor of the Senate and urge our boys in Vietnam to fight harder, and if this war mushrooms into a major conflict and a hundred thousand young Americans are killed, it won't be U.S. Senators who die. It will be American soldiers who are too young to qualify for the Senate. ~George McGovern


(image taken from www.cnn.com)

1 comment:

David Ferrell said...

Yeah, man, I got scared too. I think when this level of violence shows up the world should take notice and learn that violence never really solves anything. I do, however, think that there are times when defending yourself is necessary, but that's another conversation. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this was a little earth shaking.